Every personality type has strengths and weaknesses, including the INTJ personality type. If you want to be the best INTJ you can be, you’ll not only master your strengths, but you’ll also work to improve your weaknesses; and that includes taking action to prevent self-destructive thinking patterns and behaviors.
The worst position to be in as an INTJ is one in which you lose your sense of control or independence. The following eight things I’m going to mention can make you lose your edge, so you should take the necessary precautions to prevent them from occurring.
INTJ Self-Destructive Behaviors
- Isolation-As an INTJ, you may have a tendency to withdraw from society too much. While there is nothing wrong with solitude or introversion, isolating yourself for too long isn’t good for your mental health. See: INTJ Isolation.
- Misanthropy-This is a feeling of hatred for society or people. I’ve been a misanthrope many times, and this is a tendency for the INTJ personality type when suffering with feelings of failure, rejection, and more. See INTJ Misanthropy.
- Depression/Pessimism/Cynicism/Nihilism-INTJs may also suffer from depression. In addition, a pessimistic or cynical attitude can also overtake an INTJ. Finally, nihilism (the feeling that life is utterly meaningless) can also take grip, leaving an INTJ drifting in a sea of worthlessness.
- Bitterness or Regret Over Past Mistakes or Failures-INTJs can become bitter when faced with failure (see INTJ bitterness and regret). They may brood as they reflect on past mistakes or failures, and this can lead to a pattern of even deeper depression or cynicism.
- Substance Abuse and Addictions-INTJs sometimes become addicted to drugs, including alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, prescription pills, and more. Substance abuse, combined with the INTJs tendency for isolation, is never a good combination.
- Narcissistic tendencies-INTJs are sometimes accused of having narcissistic tendencies. While not all INTJs are narcissists, it’s easy for this type to become so wrapped up in their thoughts that they give the impression of narcissism.
- Feelings of Inadequacy, Self-Loathing, or Low Self-Esteem-INTJs can be perfectionists with bold plans. When those plans fail, INTJs can develop feelings of inadequacy or low self-esteem, which could even lead to self-hatred or self-loathing.
- Inappropriate Sexual Behavior-INTJs can also become involved with pornography addictions, fetishes, or dangerous sexual behaviors, which can lead to their own demise.
If you are experiencing any of the above self-destructive behaviors as an INTJ, it could hamper your productivity, cause you mental or physical illness, and more. If you want to be the best INTJ you can be, you’re going to have to learn how to avoid those self-destructive thought patterns or behaviors.
In future articles and videos, I’ll share my own experiences with some of the things on this list, and I’ll offer you some advice on how you can avoid those things as an INTJ.