What type of movies do INTJ personality types like to watch? I don’t have any type of hard data to offer a suggestion. However, I can say that INTJs generally do like to watch movies as a hobby or leisure activity (see INTJ hobbies), but I’m sure every INTJ probably has a unique “favorite movie” list. Just because we’re INTJs, it doesn’t mean we’ll have the same preferences in all things.
However, I do believe that many INTJs will like movies that make them think deeply. We also tend to like movies that make us escape. Informative movies (documentaries) are also a good watch, especially since INTJs love learning information. Finally, many INTJs are good at predicting plots, so we love movies with twists and turns to keep us on the edge of our seats.
INTJ Movie Preferences
INTJs tend to love the following types of movies:
Movie Genres INTJs Typically Enjoy:
- Psychological thrillers
- Some dramas (depending on the topic)
Movies I Hate and Generally Won’t Watch:
I know that some INTJs will like the movie types below, but I personally don’t like these types of movies or refuse to watch them.
- Musicals or plays (I’ve never liked movies like “Mary Poppins” for this very reason).
- Chick flicks (some are watchable, the Notebook was decent).
- Tearjerkers (Christmas Shoes) or depressing movies
- Extreme Sci-Fi. I can watch some sci-fi, but not the heavy stuff. Star Wars was just “okay” for me, and I’ve never liked Star Trek.
- Immature Comedy
- Movies with big explosions/CGI but no real substance (aka, typical Hollywood movie)
- Movies that try to capture a clip of real life, yet have no real plot or purpose
- Anime–I’m not against it if it’s clean, but it’s not my thing
- War movies (with some exceptions)
I’ve also gotten to the point where I won’t watch a movie if it has excessive profanity, contains nudity, excessive drug use, abuse, etc. I hate putting that stuff into my mind.
INTJ Movie Recommendations
Here are some movies that I have enjoyed throughout the years. I believe that most of these movies are very clean, but I watched some before becoming a Christian. Therefore, some may have some profanity and so forth (check ratings if this is a concern for you).
- Rocky 1-4 (Sylvester Stallone)
- The Count of Monte Cristo (starring Jim Caviezel)
- Shawshank Redemption (Tim Robbins)
- Les Miserables (Liam Neeson)
- Home Alone (first and second-McCauley Caulkin)
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- K-PAX (Kevin Spacey)
- Christmas Carol (George C Scott)
- Running Brave (Billy Mills Story)
- The Temptations (1998)
- Transcendence (Johnny Depp)
- Terminator 1,2 (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
- The Prestige (Hugh Jackman)
- Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood)
- Gifted Hands (Cuba Gooding, Jr.)
- Limitless (Bradley Cooper)
- Celine (2008)
- Parental Guidance (Billy Crystal)
- City Slickers (Billy Crystal)
- The Princess Bride (1987)
- Smallville (Tom Welling–I was a huge fan of this show up to the 6th or 7th season. After that, it lost my interest due to the new writers)
- Forensic Files
- Saved by the Bell
- Leave it to Beaver (ah, the age of innocence)
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- 24 (Fox show)
- The Nativity Story (2006)
- All of the Sherwood Pictures films (Flywheel, Courageous, Facing the Giants, War Room, etc)
- The Book of Daniel (2013)
- One Night with the King (Esther)
- The Book of Ruth: Journey of Faith
- All of Chris Pinto’s movies (most are free on YouTube or Amazon, go to AdullamFilms.com to see all of his movies)-Tares among the Wheat, Megiddo 1 and 2, A Lamp in the Dark, Dark Clouds Over Elberton, Hidden Faith of our Founding Fathers, etc.
- Jesus and the Shroud of Turin (documentary)
- God’s Not Dead
In conclusion, those are some of my favorite movies as an INTJ personality type. As I wrote above, INTJs will likely have different movie preferences. I’ve shared some of mine for those who enjoy watching movies.