How do INTJs approach the issue of shopping? While every INTJ is different, some of the shopping habits below will likely resonate with most INTJs. After all, INTJs are introverts who generally dislike crowded and noisy places. We tend to love the internet (hence, we buy stuff online), and we love to research and price compare.
In this list below, I’ll share how I approach shopping as an INTJ personality type.
How INTJs Shop
- I’m frugal. I don’t buy unnecessary stuff, and when I no longer need something, it goes on eBay.
- I don’t care about name brands, but did go through a phase when I was a teenager (I thought everything had to be Nike brand to be good).
I do most shopping online (for groceries, electronics, etc.). When I do this, the following applies:
- I usually have 20 tabs open while comparing prices on different sites.
- I read reviews and research extensively when buying a gadget (sometimes hours or days).
- I buy from Amazon.com, eBay, Walmart.com, and Kohls.com.
- I strategically use coupons and discounts (Kohl’s & Walmart.com, for example).
- I have shipments coming to my house regularly (I’d probably be great friends with the UPS and FedEx guys, but I almost never answer the door).
- I don’t like to buy a lot of used stuff, unless it is something I know hasn’t been misused.
- I generally hate yard sales and flea markets, but I love eBay! Why? I hate haggling or small talk!
How an INTJ Shops In-Store
When I shop in the store, this is how I approach the shopping experience as an INTJ personality type.
- I go very early to avoid crowds, usually before 7-8 a.m.
- I try to strategically avoid holiday events, weekends, Thursdays/Fridays (most people get paid), and the beginning of the month (food stamps and social security benefits are distributed, and every retailer knows its crazy on those days).
- I create a list with every item I’ll need, sometimes categorized into sections for efficient shopping.
- Black Friday? Never!! I’ll pay full retail or buy it online at a slightly higher price.
- I use self-checkouts when possible
- I tend to never ask for help, ever!
- I sometimes use the “Site-to-Store” option.
- I usually let my ISFJ wife talk to the cashier (she’s great at small talk), make returns, etc.
- I often opt to sit in the car and read a book while my wife gets the groceries.
- It is a huge pet peeve when people leave buggies in random places without putting them in the cart return. When I bought my very first new car, it looked great for a few months. That is, until it was smashed by a buggy. I was broke and had only liability insurance, so I drove it with the dent for the next decade.
- I tend to sell any and everything once I no longer need or want it. I hate clutter, and I’m not a hoarder. When I decide I don’t want something, it gets listed on eBay or Amazon ASAP!
In conclusion, that’s how I approach shopping as an INTJ personality type. I love online shopping, and when I do it in the store, I try to avoid crowds.